NewsWhip is the leading technology for identifying and tracking the stories that matter in the world each day. We track millions of signals produced every day from social networks that reveal the articles, events, and people driving discussion and engagement.
Our customers include media leaders, agencies, Fortune 500 companies, political consultants, and governments. Our financial backers include the world’s leading news agency, The Associated Press.
Our application tech stack is built on top of Scala and Java. We use Elasticsearch, Cassandra, MySQL, Redis and Kafka for storage. Everything is deployed on Google Cloud Platform. Our infrastructure is managed used Terraform, and the majority of our production services run on Kubernetes using Google Kubernetes Engine. A smaller number of legacy servers are managed using Puppet.
We’re looking for a talented Software Engineer to help us build the defining technology for showing what stories and events matter each day, in every language and category of content.
You’ll work in cross-functional teams to build solutions for discovering, storing and enriching our massive raw data sets. You’ll leverage this data to build innovative customer-facing features to display insights.
You’ll also collaborate in decisions on our platform direction, build an understanding of what we can do, and how we can push out the limits of what NewsWhip’s technology is capable of. You’ll have the opportunity to take ownership of full segments of the NewsWhip architecture.
Ideally, you’ll have the following:
- Experience with Scala and/or Java
- Experience with building database driven applications
- Strong and demonstrable problem-solving ability
- Comfortable with self-management and on-the-job learning
- Curious and passionate about new technologies.
There are also some other areas of experience we’d be interested in, particularly:
- Experience with the Lightbend Reactive Platform of Scala, Akka and Play Framework
- Experience with building streaming applications
- Experience working with storage systems such as Elasticsearch, Cassandra, Kafka and MySQL
- Experience with basic Linux administration
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform
While we’re looking for an intermediate Engineer, we understand it can be difficult to tick all the boxes, so we’re keen on talking to people who are eager to learn and develop in these areas.
- Competitive salary
- Bonus for individual performance.
- ESOP Participation – a share of the upside you create
- Great working environment in Dublin’s city centre
- An opportunity to help define an entirely new industry category
- Excellent opportunity to grow in one of Dublin’s fastest growing home-grown companies
Who we are:
NewsWhip is an ambitious Irish software company, focused on deepening our understanding of how and why people share and engage with news, information and ideas. We build our technology on Merrion Square, in the centre of the city, overlooking one of Dublin’s nicest (and oldest) parks. We have good coffee.
We believe in maintaining a friendly work environment, a healthy work-life balance, and compensating our employees fairly for their input. You’ll be part of a team that believes in mutual support and education, and for a company where a work week isn’t just the gap between weekends, but an opportunity to do work that is impactful and innovative. We also love eating and socializing together, and enjoy annual and seasonal company and team retreats, healthy and unhealthy snacks, and other perks.
If this is you, please apply here through the link, to Neil, our Head of Talent. Looking forward to speaking
NewsWhip is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.