Software Engineer – Mid Level
NewsWhip is the leading provider of predictive media intelligence, tracking and predicting engagement with the world’s news stories each day.
Our platform is used each day by journalists at hundreds of top-tier publications, and communications professionals at all 10 of the top 10 global PR agencies, dozens of international brands, and NGOs, international organisations, and not-for-profits.
As an Irish company, our product, design, and engineering functions are central to our business. Our design teams spearhead our user focus and our processes ensure we always put users at the centre of what we build. There is a direct link between your work, our customer impact, and the continued success of NewsWhip
We are seeking a Backend Engineer who is passionate about using large data sets to solve customer problems through exploration and experimentation.
Working with the core infrastructure disciplines, you’ll be responsible for building solutions for collecting, storing and enriching our data sets to power our products. These solutions are critical to ensuring our products function and deliver valuable insights. This means that you’ll get a chance to work at a large scale with cutting-edge technologies, but will also be comfortable with the fact that sometimes using boring and well-tested technologies is the best path forward.
You’ll also collaborate in decisions on our platform direction, build an understanding of what we can do, and how we can push out the limits of what NewsWhip’s technology is capable of. You’ll have the opportunity to take ownership of full segments of the NewsWhip architecture.
Ideally, you’ll have the following:
- Experience working with cross-functional teams to solve user problems with technical solutions.
- Experience improving data and query reliability, efficiency, and quality
- Experience working with a backend services team
- 3/4 years+ experience with Java and/or Scala
- Understanding of what is required to build long-running mission-critical services
- Experience with building streaming applications
- Experience working with storage systems such as Elasticsearch, Cassandra, Kafka, and MySQL
There are also some other areas of experience we’d be interested in, particularly:
- Working with the Lightbend Reactive Platform of Scala and Akka
- Experience with basic Linux administration
- Experience with Kubernetes and Google Cloud Platform
- Competitive salary
- Bonus for individual and team performance.
- Great working environment in the heart of Dubin, with remote working during Covid 19. (We will be adopting a flexible approach to working from home thereafter)
- An opportunity to help define an entirely new industry category
- Excellent opportunity to grow in one of Dublin’s fastest growing home-grown companies
We believe in maintaining a friendly work environment, a healthy work-life balance, and compensating our employees fairly for their input. You’ll be part of a team that believes in mutual support and education, and for a company where a work week isn’t just the gap between weekends, but an opportunity to do work that is impactful and innovative.We also love eating and socializing together, annual and seasonal company and team retreats, healthy and unhealthy snacks and other perks.
If this is you, please apply here through the link, to Neil, our Head of Talent. Looking forward to speaking to you!
NewsWhip is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression