NewsWhip is the leading provider of Predictive Analytics for digital and social media. Our global clients in the Communications and Media sectors increasingly rely on our signals to identify and respond to the stories that matter. We also help NGO’s, research agencies and academic partners understand and combat misinformation. As a product engineer you will play a critical part in strengthening the insights we provide them.
As an Irish company, our product and engineering functions are in Dublin. This presents a great opportunity to directly input into what we build and how we build it. There is a direct link between your work, our customers and the continued success of NewsWhip.
You’ll work in cross-functional teams to leverage our rich data sets and insights to build innovative customer-facing features. Working directly with product, design and frontend disciplines, you’ll start first with gaining an understanding of the business direction and the user perspective and experience, and then build from that.
Here’s a list of some of the technologies we use:
- Programming languages: Scala, Java, and a smattering of Python
- Data Storage: Kafka, Elastic Search, MySQL, Cassandra, Redis
- Infrastructure: Google Cloud Platform using Google Kubernetes Engine and Terraform. Everything monitored using Prometheus.
With this focus, you’ll get the chance to work on exciting projects that quickly deliver value directly to our customers. Once your work is in production, you’ll be responsible for ensuring we can monitor and manage it to provide a stable service for our customers.
You’ll also collaborate on building our core platforms, and help push out the limits of what NewsWhip’s technology is capable of. This will give you the opportunity to take ownership of full segments of the NewsWhip architecture.
Ideally, you’ll have the following:
- Experience working in a product engineering team
- Experience with Scala and/or Java
- Experience working closely with Product, Design and Frontend disciplines to deliver data insights led features
- Experience with building APIs for exposing rich datasets
There are also some other areas of experience we’d be interested in, particularly:
- Working with the Lightbend Reactive Platform of Scala, Akka and Play Framework
- Building an architecture to support rapid and stable product iteration cycles
- Working with storage systems such as Elasticsearch, Cassandra, Kafka and MySQL
- Knowledge of basic Linux administration, Kubernetes and Google Cloud Platform
- Competitive salary
- Bonus for individual performance.
- Great working environment in Dublin’s city centre
- An opportunity to help define an entirely new industry category
- Excellent opportunity to grow in one of Dublin’s fastest growing home-grown companies
Who we are:
NewsWhip is an ambitious Irish software company, focused on deepening our understanding of how and why people share and engage with news, information and ideas. We build our technology on Merrion Square, in the centre of the city, overlooking one of Dublin’s nicest (and oldest) parks. We have good coffee.
We believe in maintaining a friendly work environment, a healthy work-life balance, and compensating our employees fairly for their input. You’ll be part of a team that believes in mutual support and education, and for a company where a work week isn’t just the gap between weekends, but an opportunity to do work that is impactful and innovative. We also love eating and socializing together, and enjoy annual and seasonal company and team retreats, healthy and unhealthy snacks, and other perks.
If this is you, please apply here through the link, to Neil, our Head of Talent. Looking forward to speaking
NewsWhip is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.