In-House Legal Counsel
NewsWhip, the world leader in tracking the spread of news and content, seeks an In-House Legal Counsel to join our Team on Merrion Square.
The main focus of this role will be acting as our company’s in house counsel for all commercial matters arising from our relationships with customers and suppliers. You will report directly to NewsWhip’s CFO.
This role is part time, and will require 15-25 hours a week, which can largely be delivered remotely or from our Dublin office (subject to covid-19 restrictions)
Legal duties and responsibilities:
Legal responsibilities are core to this role, and touch every part of our organisation. These will include:
- Work closely with internal departments such as sales to draft and negotiate our general commercial contracts (e.g. licensing agreements, NDAs, and support and maintenance agreements)
- Ensure good legal processes across NewsWhip, such as ensuring all contractual documentation is accurate and manages our risks.
- Provide advice on legal issues to all levels of staff, up to and including senior executives and the NewsWhip Board
- Research other legal issues that may arise across the business, and where applicable, suggest appropriate further actions or the engagement of external advisors.
- Administration of our Employee Share Option Plan
- Act as the joint company secretary and advise on all company registration matters
- Commercially astute and pragmatic.
- Excellent written communication skills, with a strong attention to detail
- Demonstrates initiative with a proactive approach to work.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work autonomously and as part of a team in a fluid and fast-paced changing environment.
- Flexible, organised and able to prioritise and manage own workload, as well as anticipate the needs of the business.
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to quickly assess potential for risk and opportunity.
Relevant Education And Experience Required:
- 2+ years PQE, licensed to practice in Ireland or the US
- Commercial contract drafting and negotiation with a focus on technology and B2B licensing agreements an advantage.
- Sound understanding of law relating to IT as well as issues relating to data protection and intellectual property.
- Experience with corporate transactions relating to fundraising and M&A an advantage.
- Experience working in-house with a software company is desired but not required
- Competitive salary
- Bonus for individual performance.
- Great working environment in the heart of Dublin on Merrion Square.
- An opportunity to help define an entire new industry category
Who we are:
NewsWhip is the leading technology for identifying and tracking the stories that matter in the world each day. We track millions of signals produced every day from social networks that reveal the articles, events, and people driving discussion and engagement.
Our customers include media leaders, agencies, Fortune 500 companies, political consultants, and governments. Our financial backers include the world’s leading news agency, The Associated Press.
We believe in maintaining a friendly work environment, a healthy work-life balance, and compensating our employees fairly for their input. You’ll be part of a team that believes in mutual support and education, and for a company where a work week isn’t just the gap between weekends, but an opportunity to do work that is impactful and innovative. We also love eating and socializing together and enjoy annual and seasonal company and team retreats, healthy and unhealthy snacks and other perks.
If this is you, please apply here through the link, to Neil our Director of People. Looking forward to speaking 🙂
NewsWhip is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.