Technical Architect, Dublin
NewsWhip seeks a Technical Architect to join our team in Dublin in our new 5 storey HQ on Merrion Square. This is a unique opportunity to shape and change how the world’s leading media and brands communicate and interact with information.
The Technical Architect is a self-starter with a passion for creating, improving and evolving distributed systems with proven open-source technologies and stacks. The role is a technical leadership role that earns the respect of the Engineering teams by listening to their needs and making priorities according to their concerns in order to increase engineering productivity, system stability and scalability.
- Analyse, improve and create NewsWhip technical architecture and software components.
- Analyse, improve and create external system interfaces and internal component interfaces.
- Architect solutions (or build and manage a team to) considering performance, availability, reliability and security.
- Create prototypes and perform technology evaluations according to long term technical priorities from CTO and management.
- Engage engineering teams in dialogue for improvements in engineering productivity, coding standards, continuous integration and delivery, architecture and other technical issues.
- Provide technical coaching and guidance to team members.
- Ensure NewsWhip technical goals and standards are met in agile way.
- Provide and maintain information systems for visualising dev progress and stability.
- Develop and maintain the KPIs for ‘success’.
- Help define ‘success’ continually with CTO, CPO and wider company management.
- Quickly spot system and human bottlenecks and solve for optimal workflows.
- Evaluate correct tooling for tech teams.
- Work with CTO and recruitment on identifying needed technical roles, prepare technical job descriptions, participate in hiring processes and on-boarding of new hires.
The right candidate will have:
- 7+ years of experience in software engineering and development, preferably with Java.
- 5+ years of experience in creating and evolving technical and software architectures.
- 2+ years of experience in technical leading architectural and/or development teams.
- Experience working with large data environments
- Strong in understanding release management, system and component versioning, agile methodologies (e.g. Kanban, Scrum, Scaled Agile Framework). Appreciation for start-up methodologies (lean, MVP) a bonus.
- Realistic about applying technology and can visualise the ‘bigger picture’.
- Rational and pragmatic problem solver (technical and non-technical), highly effective team player and excellent listener.(Open minded, sensitive about new technology trends)
- Leading by example and enjoying being in the “trenches” with engineering teams.
- Friendly, approachable, transparent and fair.
- Excellent judgment for both technical and human situations.
- Enjoying engineering management challenges and looking to consistently improve NewsWhip software engineering process to best serve the engineering teams.
Nice to Haves:
- Experience enabling for large scale machine learning deployments.
- Real world experience for driving state of the art technical deployments and have experience doing it before to that standard.
- Experience with external vendors and best in class selection of vendors to align to higher strategic focus.
Technologies we currently use (In no particular order):
Python, Scala, relational databases, NoSQL databases (Cassandra preferred), ElasticSearch, Kafka, ZooKeeper, distributed process, large scale multi-threading environments, Tomcat, play framework, Maven, Docker, Git, AWS.
- Competitive salary
- Great working environment in Dublin’s city centre
- An opportunity to help define an entire new industry category
- Excellent opportunity to grow in one of Dublin’s fastest growing home-grown companies
Who we are:
NewsWhip is the leading technology for identifying and tracking the stories that matter in the world each day. We mine signal from social networks that reveal the articles, events and people driving discussion and engagement. Our customers include media leaders (BuzzFeed, Washington Post, The Guardian, The BBC, the Huffington Post, Bloomberg, Axel Springer Group, NBC, Yahoo!), Agencies (Edelman, Ketchum, FleishmanHillard, DigitasLBi), Fortune 500 companies (MasterCard), political consultants, and governments. Our financial backers include the world’s leading news agency, The Associated Press
NewsWhip’s technology mines signals from social networks that reveal the stories, events and people driving discussion and engagement every day.
Our ambition is to create the defining technology for showing what stories and events matter each day, in every language and category of content.
We believe in maintaining a friendly work environment, a healthy work-life balance, and compensating our employees fairly for their input. You’ll be part of a team that believes in mutual support and education, and for a company where a work week isn’t just the gap between weekends, but an opportunity to do work that is impactful and innovative.We also love eating and socialising together and enjoy a delicious lunch out together on Fridays, annual and seasonal company and team retreats, healthy and unhealthy snacks and other perks.
Please forward your resume to our Head of Talent firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss this opportunity further. Looking forward to hearing from you!