NewsWhip is the leading provider of Predictive Analytics for digital and social media. Our global clients in the Communications and Media sectors increasingly rely on our signals to identify and respond to the stories that matter. We also help NGO’s, research agencies and academic partners understand and combat misinformation. As a backend engineer you will play a critical part in strengthening the data and signals that power our insight products.
As an Irish company, our product and engineering functions are in Dublin. This presents a great opportunity to directly input into what we build and how we build it. There is a direct link between your work, our customers and the continued success of NewsWhip.
Working with the core infrastructure disciplines, you’ll be responsible for building solutions for collecting, storing and enriching our data sets that our products rely on. This is the infrastructure that powers NewsWhip, so it’s critical to ensuring our products function. This means that you’ll get a chance to work at a large scale with cutting edge technologies, but will also be comfortable with the fact that sometimes using boring and well-tested technologies is the best path forward.
Here’s a list of some of the technologies we use:
- Programming languages: Scala, Java, and a smattering of Python
- Data Storage: Kafka, Elastic Search, MySQL, Cassandra, Redis
- Infrastructure: Google Cloud Platform using Google Kubernetes Engine and Terraform. Everything monitored using Prometheus.
You’ll also collaborate in decisions on our platform direction, build an understanding of what we can do, and how we can push out the limits of what NewsWhip’s technology is capable of. You’ll have the opportunity to take ownership of full segments of the NewsWhip architecture.
Ideally, you’ll have the following:
- Experience working with a backend services team
- Experience with Scala and/or Java
- Understanding of what it is required to build long running mission critical services
- Experience with building streaming applications
- Experience working with storage systems such as Elasticsearch, Cassandra, Kafka and MySQL
There are also some other areas of experience we’d be interested in, particularly:
- Working with the Lightbend Reactive Platform of Scala and Akka
- Experience with basic Linux administration
- Experience with Kuberentes and Google Cloud Platform
- Competitive salary
- Bonus for individual performance.
- Great working environment in Dublin’s city centre
- An opportunity to help define an entirely new industry category
- Excellent opportunity to grow in one of Dublin’s fastest growing home-grown companies
Who we are:
NewsWhip is an ambitious Irish software company, focused on deepening our understanding of how and why people share and engage with news, information and ideas. We build our technology on Merrion Square, in the centre of the city, overlooking one of Dublin’s nicest (and oldest) parks. We have good coffee.
We believe in maintaining a friendly work environment, a healthy work-life balance, and compensating our employees fairly for their input. You’ll be part of a team that believes in mutual support and education, and for a company where a work week isn’t just the gap between weekends, but an opportunity to do work that is impactful and innovative. We also love eating and socializing together, and enjoy annual and seasonal company and team retreats, healthy and unhealthy snacks, and other perks.
If this is you, please apply here through the link, to Neil, our Head of Talent. Looking forward to speaking
NewsWhip is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.